Thursday, March 16, 2017

PC Has Its Limits

Just happened to catch this sign on a trip to the local Safeway this past week:

Irish Carbomb mixed drink sign
A sign on a display at the local Safeway. No, there weren't any protesters out front of the store.
It's something of a cliche at this point, but: I can't imagine the amount of outrage that would be expressed over this sign if the ethnicity being...what?...lampooned? mocked? satirized?...by this mixed drink's name were any of the more "endangered" species among us. Carbombs are generally not considered sources of humor these days, though my personal sense of humor can manage it. For the most part, however, the bulk of the bodies around us would tend to see this as in poor taste--if it referenced someone other than a safely white, non-oppressed subgroup.

As it was, the display seemed to attract no particular attention on the day I was in the store. I made a quick move to snap the pic above--it's a little blurry because I didn't linger over it; I expected to get some guff from someone representing the store if I was spotted snapping that shot--just simply to share it with everyone, just to see if anyone finds it in any particular way offensive.

By the way, I highly recommend NOT being offended by this sort of thing; it just seems like people have an affinity these days for getting offended by just about whatever's out there, so I figured I'd stir the pot, if possible, by posting it here. Do with it as you see fit. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment