Monday, February 7, 2011

Why Do I Do This?

Why indeed? I know fully well that just about nobody will read these blog posts. I can't say I'm sharing with the rest of the world, when I know the rest of the world ain't buying what I'm selling (or really, giving away).

So why do I do it? Well, I just got something of an answer. As you can see from other posts, I'm porting over some of the content from my previous web site. This has led me to review some of the posts from back in the day, and I'm finding that things happened back then about which I have utterly forgotten. For instance, I had totally blanked my mind of the incident described in this gem (from my old blog, posted 2/8/07):

I Prefer The Two In The Bush

Let me set the scene: I'm driving in to work, late as usual, getting off the freeway. I'm coming down the off-ramp, doing a fair sixty miles an hour, where I've rolled through literally hundreds of times. But this time was different. From my left flutters into view a bundle of feathers, flying erratically as it closes in on my car. The bird--which I barely had time to see--drops down below the front end of my car...and disappears. Didn't come out the side. Wasn't to be seen in my rear view mirror. Never made so much as the slightest impact 'thud.'

I say to myself, "Did that bird just...?" Minutes later, I pull into the parking lot at work. I get out and peer at the bottom of my car's front end. Sure enough, down on the underside of the fiberglass, I see a small tuft of feathers, sticking out of an oblique opening in the body. There's a dead bird stuck in the front end of my car. Great.

This leads to a dilemma: do I go digging for the bird, or do I leave it there and--after coming home and parking the car in my quite rural driveway--let the local critters take care of things. I opt for the latter, since I have little desire to grab a possibly scrambled bird out of my car's chassis.

Alas, the local skunks and stray cats did not do their duty over the course of the night. So I grab a trowel, from among the piles of junk left outside by my moronic neighbor/landlord, hit the deck, and start digging. When the trowel proved ineffective, I had to resort to a nearby pitchfork. There was a moment of panic when it seemed that the bird was wedged too tightly into the opening, but eventually the dearly departed began to leave its last resting place. At last, out plopped...not a little benighted chick like I was expecting, but a full-grown adult robin! Roughly 8" in length. Red breast and all. I didn't even know there was a space that big in the front end of my car.

I'm still amazed that that bird hit the one opening in the front end of my car where it would stick. Everything was perfect: angle, hole size, timing--perfect. It was one of those "you couldn't do it if you tried" kind of things. I wonder sometimes: Can it get any weirder? And apparently the answer is: Yes, it can.

I had no clue this had happened to me until I read it on my back pages. And that's why I post these items on this blog: not to entertain the masses out there, per se, but as a reminder to myself about where I've been and what happened there. It is The Record of what went on back in the day. As such, I consider this blog a valuable resource. And that's why I do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment