Saturday, December 10, 2016

For The Record, Scale Check

Interesting. Almost exactly a month after the last low-point reading, I've reached a new low. Just by a pound, but it's movement in the right direction--and that's fascinating, because I can't remember the last time I reached a new low weight in December. This is not the time of year when this kind of progress gets made.

So what's going on here? Well, I can say this: back in October I got very worried about my blood sugar (I'm diabetic; no surprise there), and I instituted some new eating policies which, so far, have held fairly well these last eight-to-nine weeks. Specifically: avoiding sugary drinks, particularly regular soda, except for an every-other-week "soda day"; and avoiding sweets, meaning any foods that are particularly sugary, including (but not necessarily limited to) candy, pastries, ice cream, etc. (again, with an every-other-week exception for a "sugar day"). And that really seems to be working; the blood sugar has been better, and--most obviously here--the weight is slowly, steadily coming down. And note, it's been coming down even as I have not been getting as much exercise as usual (late November and December are what passes for the dead of winter in the Bay Area).

So this is quite exciting. The results demonstrate that with a couple of very simple steps--which are not huge sacrifices and (as of now) look to be sustainable--it's possible to maintain steady weight loss even under less-than-ideal circumstances. These results also promise that I will be set up nicely going into next year to make a fairly decent push in the downward direction going into and through the spring and summer.

Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment